Credibility – the quality of being believable or worthy of trust
What does it take to really get what you want in your career? I get asked this question a lot. Many professionals want to know what they can do to make a big impact and create the success they want. The reality is that there isn’t one trick to finding your ideal career or generating an awesome income. It requires many things like believing in yourself, gaining clarity around what you want, and taking focused action. If you want to get a promotion, earn a raise, and have access to new opportunities or projects, enhancing your credibility is the easiest way to do so.
How would your life be different if more people listened to you and respected you as a leader? What would change if you were seen as a person of influence and authority? Working with a career coach can help you boost your credibility and achieve your career goals. It usually takes time and a sincere commitment to enhance aspects of your character. Credibility is an attribute that is part of your being, which is why you can’t fake it or establish it very quickly. People with ulterior motives or who wish to manipulate situations will be exposed eventually, so it’s important that you have your team and department’s best interest in mind. Here are 10 ways to boost your credibility on the job!
1. Tell the truth – People who tell the truth are respected because it’s so easy to lie or go along with a group out of fear of standing out. You are a leader, own that and your truth in all situations.
2. Don’t gossip – Confidentiality is the basis of trust, without it you have nothing. People of influence know just how much to say to get their point across without exposing too much or embarrassing others.
3. Do your research – This separates the professionals from everyone else. Find out as much as you can about topics or points of interest.
4. Be prepared – Professionals know what others don’t and know when to apply it to their situation. Being credible often makes you the “go-to” person in any situation.
5. Gain more knowledge – There is always more to learn and a place to grow. If you think that you have your current position figured out, it’s time to learn a new one.
6. Improve your skills – Take time to sharpen your skills every chance you get. How can you take what you know to the next level?
7. Be proactive – This is the secret that most people don’t know. Anticipating the challenges and needs of your position and department easily separates you from everyone else.
8. Stay Calm – Depending on your personality, this can be a difficult thing to do. No one will put their trust in you if you are the first person to panic and spread negativity.
9. Consult with others – It’s always beneficial to get out of your own head and hear a different perspective. Considering others’ opinions will help you to plan and execute more effectively.
10. Listen more than you talk – This is another tough one that can be difficult for many extroverts, but when you’re establishing credibility it’s not all about your personal thoughts and feelings. Basing your approach on research, facts, and the knowledge and experience of others carries a lot of weight.
Leaders in the workplace are trustworthy, capable, and influential. How could enhancing your credibility help you reach your full potential? You have skills, knowledge, and talents to share. Putting yourself out there as a credible resource is a good way to help you reach your career goals and increase your income. What is one thing you will commit to doing to boost your credibility?
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy our FREE special report, 5 Common Mistakes Professionals Make That Keep Them Stressed & Overwhelmed. Sign up here.
Latest posts by Porschia Parker-Griffin (see all)
- How to Become a Manager: Are You Ready? - June 10, 2021
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Work From Home Productivity - June 3, 2021
- The Top 4 Ways to Position Your Job Change - May 27, 2021