Risk- exposure to the chance of injury or loss.
How do you feel when you hear the word risk? Do you get butterflies in your stomach, start sweating and feeling uneasy? Or do you feel calm and composed when thinking about taking risks. It’s natural to have a mental and/or physical response when considering the possibility of losing something. Usually your response is triggered by the knowledge that taking a risk involves leaving your comfort zone.
Making the decision to leave your comfort zone can be difficult, even if the risk involves reaching one of your goals or attaining something of high value. Many of my clients face this challenge on the topic of relocation. If you were offered a well-paying position in your ideal career, but it was across the country, would you take it? You always have a choice to decide if staying in the same place and doing things the way you’ve always done them is what you really want. Or if you want to choose something new, different, and maybe even a little scary.
Working with a life coach can help minimize some of the fear and anxiety around taking risks, to achieve the results you are looking for. Taking calculated risks, that you think through strategically, can help you make progress, learn new things, and grow. This is absolutely necessary in order to reach your full potential and live a life you LOVE! Lets examine the 3 ways not taking risks is holding you back.
1. False Sense of Security– If you aren’t ever doing anything different, your environment would be comfortable to you. You probably know just how much energy, effort, and time you can put into things to maintain the status quo. But you also are not pushing yourself or accepting the inevitable change going on around you. Working with a life coach can help you breakthrough this false sense of security, and play a bigger game in your life.
2. You Don’t Grow– Doing the same things over and over again can help you establish a routine, but there is no progression. You aren’t growing and fully living. Some of my clients expressed, they feel like they’ve done the same things for the past several YEARS of their lives. What seemed okay at first, usually turned out to be a prison of monotony. At a very foundational level, risk taking shakes things up and provides interesting experiences.
3. Kills Your Dreams– Living in the sea of sameness minimizes any passions you may have. A False Sense of Security + Not Growing = Lost Dreams. This is a result of not taking action in situations that may involve some degree of risk. Dreams are great, but reality is better. The sole purpose of a life coach is to help you achieve your goals and really trusting this process will help you turn those dreams into reality through action.
Now that you know my risk equation, A False Sense of Security + Not Growing = Lost Dreams, what do you think about taking risks? Has anything changed? Can you really see yourself going for the career, income, and life you want? If you would like some support around this, I invite you to consider working with a coach. Don’t let fear or doubt stop you from living the life you were meant to live!
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy our FREE special report, 5 Common Mistakes Professionals Make That Keep Them Stressed & Overwhelmed! Sign up here.
Latest posts by Porschia Parker-Griffin (see all)
- Active Listening Skills: How To Work With Someone Who Interrupts - September 8, 2021
- Stuck In A Bad Job? 7 Positive Lessons You Can Learn From Your Current Position - August 27, 2021
- How To Stop Being Toxic! 5 Tips To Creating A Better Work Environment - August 19, 2021