We’ve all been there. You had a great idea, plan, or goal and were so enthusiastic about it. But as time went on fear and doubt started to creep into your mind. ‘Am I smart enough to do this?’ ‘Can I really succeed and pull this off?’ Once these types of thoughts form, external challenges start popping up. Maybe you run out of money, get sick, or have a new project given to you at work. Staying motivated is a huge challenge for most people, because it’s so easy to get off track.
How do you harness your motivation and use it to achieve your goals? This is one of the problems that comes up a lot in career coaching, and working with my clients. How many times have you actually crossed the finish line in your life, when you had a strong desire to accomplish something? It could’ve been anything from finishing college, getting a promotion, or making more money. What was the result? How did that make you feel? Success brings more success. Completing tasks and projects help you build momentum to reach your goals. Here are 5 secrets to getting and staying motivated!
1. Truly believe- Do you believe in yourself and your goals 100%? A lot of people will tell you about the things they want, but they don’t actually think it’s possible for themselves. They’ve seen or heard of other people starting a business or finding their dream job, but for some reason they just aren’t worthy. It’s natural to feel some nervousness about starting something new. You can work through beliefs that limit you in any way.
2. Explore your reasoning- Why do you have this goal? Do you desire it, or is it something that others have said you should want? This might take some time to reflect on. Really think about the importance of the situation and where these ideas have come from. If you aren’t feeling energized when thinking about your goal or you can’t think of any significant changes it would have in your life, then your motivation could wane because it’s not that serious.
3. Get Clear- What training or skills do you need to prepare for this opportunity? What are the exact steps you need to take to make your dream a reality? If you haven’t given much thought to these questions, now is the time. Having clarity is the first step towards achieving anything and having a breakthrough. When I begin working with a new client we go through a deep discovery process about them and what they want. Who are you having these types of conversations with?
4. Work your positivity muscle- How is your general outlook on life and your career? Do you beat yourself up over past “failures” or things that didn’t go as planned? It’s very easy to focus on the things that haven’t gone well and use them as an excuse not to try something new or different. Instead of focusing on what’s wrong, start thinking about what’s working or better than before. Consciously consider your goals and how you can be more optimistic about them. If you find it difficult to stay upbeat, try using positive affirmations.
5. Write it down- There is a lot of research out there about the power of writing things down. Get a notebook or journal to record your goals and plans. What feelings will you experience once you accomplish them? Make a list of these feelings along with any other people who will benefit and any ways you plan to celebrate. Find time in your schedule to regularly review what you write. The act of writing helps to cement the things you want and bring them into existence.
How would being able to cross the finish line and achieve more of your goals affect you? What would it cause to shift in your life, career, and relationships? Getting and staying motivated are some of the most common challenges for busy professionals. Truly believing in what you’re doing, understanding the reasoning behind it, and having clarity set you up for success. Being positive and writing down your goals can help you have the mindset necessary to stay motivated!
Latest posts by Porschia Parker-Griffin (see all)
- Discover the Meaning in Job Postings: How to Read Without Being Overwhelmed - June 28, 2022
- Preventing a Negative Work Environment: How to Deal With Office Gossip - June 8, 2022
- What Are Your Employee Rights When Fired? - June 1, 2022