If you’re anything like my clients who are ambitious professionals, there is so much you could be doing right now. Many people get lost in a sea of activities that are “supposed to be important” making more money, being healthy, getting a promotion and having better relationships. What matters to you the most right now? It takes the majority of people quite a while to answer that question, so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t know. Getting focused on what you want is the one thing that can help you get into action and reach your goals the fastest.
Despite all of the technology and innovations to make our lives easier, it’s harder than ever to get focused! With so much content available on the internet, it doesn’t take long to hit information overload. Who should you be listening to? What advice should you be taking? How should you be doing things? For many professionals, busy is now a state of being. Take a moment to reflect on if things are actually getting done and generating the results you want? If not, then it’s time to explore how you’re handling the details. Let’s talk about the three keys to getting focused on what matters NOW!
1. Minimize Distractions– This might sound simple. It’s so simple that most people over look it! Are you reading this post while you’re monitoring your inbox, keeping up on your Facebook app, and talking on the phone? If so, your mind is cluttered and these tendencies will have an influence when you start thinking about your goals. How can you clear just one distraction off of your plate?
2. Decide on your Priorities– Let’s say you have a good idea of what you want and it’s to make more money. The money is important because you want to save up for a new car and finally take a vacation. It becomes easier to work an extra hour or two during the week (even if it means missing happy hour) when you have decided what it takes to attain your goals.
3. Make your Plan– Seriously thinking about your goal helps you come up with the steps necessary to reach it. Planning is vital and can help save you a lot of time, energy, and money. Doing the right things out of order can be extremely frustrating, because you feel like you should be making progress but aren’t. Proper planning is what separates professionals from the amateurs.
Getting focused is important in order produce your best work and achieve the things you desire. So many people are easily overwhelmed at the thought of their goals. It doesn’t have to be that way! Prioritizing and minimizing distractions can help provide some instant clarity in your life. Making a thoughtful plan improves your success rate before you even get started. Where can you benefit from being more focused?
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy our FREE special report, 5 Common Mistakes Professionals Make That Keep Them Stressed & Overwhelmed. Sign up here.
Latest posts by Porschia Parker-Griffin (see all)
- How to Become a Manager: Are You Ready? - June 10, 2021
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Work From Home Productivity - June 3, 2021
- The Top 4 Ways to Position Your Job Change - May 27, 2021